Free Agents is the 25th season of The Challenge. This season features alumni from The Real World and The Challenge competing against each other for a share of $350,000. This season was filmed in Uruguay and Chile for the Final Challenge. It premiered on April 10th, 2014 and concluded with the reunion special on June 26th, 2014.
Twenty-eight money-hungry competitors arrive in Punta del Este, Uruguay, expecting to be teamed up with an ex, an enemy, or even a weak rookie. Little do they know, this is an individual game, and they’ll be answering to no one but themselves in the most unpredictable Challenge ever.
The 25th season, Free Agents, forces players to compete on their own in a battle of perseverance and luck. The players will have no idea if they’ll be competing in teams, pairs or as individuals until moments before each challenge begins. Winners are not only safe from elimination, but also have the power to choose one guy and one girl to send in. The losers from that day’s challenge must take part in the game’s biggest elimination twist yet, “The Draw”, where one guy and one girl are selected by pure chance to face the two nominated players in the elimination round. With competitors’ fates being determined by a flip of a card, no amount of strategy can protect them.
A grand total of $350,000 is up for grabs, and with so much money on the line, these already blood-thirsty competitors turn vicious. Heated rivalries will take shape, bitter enemies will clash, and heart-tugging relationships will form. Only the lucky few will face the epic final challenge that starts in dangerous rapids and ends at the top of an active volcano. In the end, this season will find the most worthy challenger yet, the ultimate FREE AGENT.
Prior to each challenge, players are informed whether a challenge will be declared as either an individual, pair, or team challenge. For pair and team challenges, T.J. draws names out of a bag — one of each gender, or more for multi-team or pair challenges — that will be designated as captains. For team challenges, the captains will select players that will be split evenly amongst gender. For pair challenges, the captains will either select players of the opposite gender for challenges that are designated as male/female pairs, or the same gender for challenges that are designated as same-gender pairs.
After each challenge, the winning teams/pairs/players are not only safe from elimination, but will also choose one player of each gender to compete in the elimination round. If a challenge is played in a team or pair format, each member of the winning pair/team is safe from elimination. The remaining players will participate in an elimination vote called "The Draw," in which each player will either flip over a "kill card," which has a skeleton symbol, or a blank card. If a player flips over a blank card, that player saves himself/herself from participating in the elimination, however, if a player flips over the "kill card," that player will face the player of the respective gender that was previously voted by the winning team/pair/individual in the elimination. The winning players of each gender return to the game and have a shot at competing for a $350,000 prize, while the losing male and female players are eliminated from the game.
At the end of the season, six players will compete in the final challenge — three of each gender.
Money for finalists is split as follows:
- First Place: $125,000 each
- Second Place: $35,000 each
- Third Place: $15,000 each
|Episode||Challenge type||Challenge winners||Elimination contestants||Elimination game||Elimination outcome|
|#||Challenge||Voted In||Draw pick||Winner||Loser|
|1||Out on a Ledge||Two teams of 14||Team Black||Chet||Frank||Balls In||Frank||Chet*|
|2||Auto Body Rally||Male/female pairs||Cohutta & Laurel||Jonna||Emilee||Wrecking Wall||Jonna||Emilee|
|3||Bar Crawl||Six teams of 4||Team Brandon||Johnny||N/A||Looper||N/A|
|Nia||Cara Maria||Cara Maria||Nia|
|4||Bounce Out||Two teams of 11||Team Red||LaToya||Cara Maria||Oppenheimer||Cara Maria||LaToya|
|5||Piggy Back||Two teams of 10||Team Purple||Laurel||Jasmine||Balls In||Laurel||Jasmine|
|7||Sausage Party||Individual||Laurel||Aneesa||Jonna||Wrecking Wall||Aneesa||Jonna|
|8||Hold That Pose||Two teams of 7||Team Devyn||Preston||Cohutta||Oppenheimer||Cohutta||Preston|
|9||Dug Out||Same-gender pairs||Nany & Theresa||Jessica||Cara Maria||Balls In||Cara Maria||Jessica|
|CT & Zach||Cohutta||Leroy||Leroy||Cohutta|
|10/11||Crossover||Male/female pairs||Bananas & Nany||CT||Leroy||Wrecking Wall||CT||Leroy|
|Cara Maria||Laurel||Laurel||Cara Maria|
|11||N/A||Laurel vs. Theresa||Puzzle Pyramid||Laurel||Theresa|
|Bananas vs. CT||Bananas||CT|
|11/12||Final Challenge||Male/female pairs & Individual||Bananas||2nd place: Johnny; 3rd place: Zach|
|Laurel||2nd place: Nany; 3rd place: Devyn|
- Chet withdrew from the "Balls In" elimination at the end of Episode 1, after he busted his chin open. T. J. Lavin gave Chet the option to either continue the elimination round with a bandage, or get stitches and forfeit; Chet chose the latter option, fearing a bacterial infection. Therefore, Frank was declared the winner by default.
- Frank initially thought that he was suffering from a collapsed lung, and had hoped to continue competing. However, when he arrived at the "Bar Crawl" challenge in Episode 3, host T. J. Lavin delivered the news that doctors diagnosed Frank with a contagious viral infection, and he was immediately removed from the competition.
- As a result of Frank's departure due to illness, Team Jasmine competed in the "Bar Crawl" challenge with three players, while the other five teams competed with four players.
- Johnny was selected for the elimination round in Episode 3, but did not have to compete. There were four cards in "The Draw," but only three male players were eligible for participation — CT, Jordan and Swift — none of them drew the "kill card." Therefore, by virtue of Frank's illness that resulted in his removal from the competition, no male elimination round was held.
- A tie vote was reached in Episode 4 between Aneesa and LaToya. A re-vote was required to determine who would be selected for the elimination round.
- In the "Piggy Back" challenge, each team advanced the same number of players (4) from one platform to the other. However, Team Yellow was disqualified due to Preston failing to grab the last two ropes with both hands, after T. J. Lavin stated in the rules that each player was required to grab all ten ropes with both hands. Therefore, Team Purple was declared the winner by default.
- A tie vote was reached in Episode 10 between Cara Maria & Theresa. A re-vote was required to determine who would be selected for the elimination round. T. J. Lavin then made the stunning announcement that if a third tie occurred, Bananas and Nany — the winners of the "Crossover" challenge — would instead be placed into elimination. In the re-vote, Nany switched her vote, sending Cara Maria into elimination.
- In Episode 11, no challenge was held prior to the final draw, and no competitor had immunity from the final draw. Johnny, Zach, Devyn and Nany each drew blank cards, automatically sending Bananas, CT, Laurel and Theresa to the final elimination round.
- The contestant won the competition.
- The contestant did not win the final challenge.
- The contestant won the week's competition, making him/her safe from the elimination round.
- The contestant did not win the week's competition, but was not selected for the elimination round.
- The contestant participated in the elimination draw, but did not draw the "kill card."
- The contestant was selected for the elimination round, but did not have to compete.
- The contestant won the elimination round.
- The contestant won the elimination round by default.
- The contestant lost the elimination round.
- The contestant withdrew from the elimination.
- The contestant was removed from the competition due to illness.
|Bananas||LaToya||N/A||Nia||LaToya||LaToya||N/A||Cara Maria||Cara Maria|
|Episode||Air date||Viewers (in millions)|
|1||"Live Free or Die"||April 10, 2014||0.95|
|2||"Love in the Fast Lane"||April 17, 2014||0.92|
|3||"You Be Illin'"||April 24, 2014||0.94|
|4||"Inadequate"||May 1, 2014||1.11|
|5||"Stripes"||May 8, 2014||0.97|
|6||"Not So Trivial Pursuits"||May 15, 2014||1.07|
|7||"Pride Before the Wall"||May 22, 2014||1.14|
|8||"Strike a Pose, There's Something to It"||May 29, 2014||1.08|
|9||"Best Friends for Never"||June 5, 2014||1.08|
|10||"Talk to the Hand"||June 12, 2014||1.14|
|11||"The $350,000 Pyramid"||June 19, 2014||1.01|
|12||"A Walk in the Clouds"||June 26, 2014||1.15|
The reunion was filmed in New York City, New York, and was hosted by Jonny Moseley. The contestants who attended the reunion were: Bananas, Cara Maria, Cohutta, CT, Devyn, Jessica, Johnny, Jordan, Laurel, Nany, Theresa, and Zach.
|The Challenge Series|
Road Rules: All Stars • Real World/Road Rules Challenge • Challenge 2000 • Extreme Challenge • Battle of the Seasons (2002) • Battle of the Sexes • The Gauntlet • The Inferno • Battle of the Sexes 2 • The Inferno II • The Gauntlet 2 • Fresh Meat • The Duel • The Inferno 3 • The Gauntlet III • The Island • The Duel II • The Ruins • Fresh Meat II • Cutthroat • Rivals • Battle of the Exes • Battle of the Seasons (2012) • Rivals II • Free Agents • Battle of the Exes II • Battle of the Bloodlines • Rivals III • Invasion of the Champions • XXX: Dirty 30 • Vendettas • Final Reckoning • War of the Worlds • War of the Worlds 2 • Total Madness • Double Agents • Spies, Lies & Allies